Startup Error on Win10 VM

I’m trying to run SPIS on a windows 10 VM, and I’m running into an issue on startup that I can’t figure out how to resolve. I tried running JRE in W7 compatibility, and I tried changing the .bat file to NOW=1, NOW=2, and NOW = 3. If anyone has any ideas they’d be much appreciated.
Error Below (there was more but it was the same error for different bundles)

ERROR: Bundle com-artenum-cassandra-core [3] Error starting file:/C:/SPIS-6.1.0-win64b/./dependencies/main/com-artenum-cassandra-core-3.0.4.jar (org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to resolve com-artenum-cassandra-core [3](R 3.0): missing requirement [com-artenum-cassandra-core [3](R 3.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=com.artenum.cassandra.renderer.vtk)(version>=3.0.0)(!(version>=4.0.0))) [caused by: Unable to resolve com-artenum-cassandra-renderer [15](R 15.0): missing requirement [com-artenum-cassandra-renderer [15](R 15.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=com.jogamp.opengl) [caused by: Unable to resolve org-keridwen-vtk8-win64b [65](R 65.0): missing requirement [org-keridwen-vtk8-win64b [65](R 65.0)] osgi.native; (&(osgi.native.osname~=win32)(osgi.native.processor~=x86_64))]] Unresolved requirements: [[com-artenum-cassandra-core [3](R 3.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=com.artenum.cassandra.renderer.vtk)(version>=3.0.0)(!(version>=4.0.0)))])
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to resolve com-artenum-cassandra-core [3](R 3.0): missing requirement [com-artenum-cassandra-core [3](R 3.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=com.artenum.cassandra.renderer.vtk)(version>=3.0.0)(!(version>=4.0.0))) [caused by: Unable to resolve com-artenum-cassandra-renderer [15](R 15.0): missing requirement [com-artenum-cassandra-renderer [15](R 15.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=com.jogamp.opengl) [caused by: Unable to resolve org-keridwen-vtk8-win64b [65](R 65.0): missing requirement [org-keridwen-vtk8-win64b [65](R 65.0)] osgi.native; (&(osgi.native.osname~=win32)(osgi.native.processor~=x86_64))]] Unresolved requirements: [[com-artenum-cassandra-core [3](R 3.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=com.artenum.cassandra.renderer.vtk)(version>=3.0.0)(!(version>=4.0.0)))]
at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundleRevision(Felix.java:4132)
at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:2117)
at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1371)
at org.apache.felix.framework.FrameworkStartLevelImpl.run(FrameworkStartLevelImpl.java:308)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

This error is not linked to the “NOW” issue in .bat files.

It seems the native part of SPIS for 3D rendering does not identify your system as a windows 64bits. Maybe the VM‌ is not configured correctly ?

You may use SPIS without the 3D view by using the SpisNo3D.bat file.

Thanks for the help, although now I’m even less sure what to do since the VM is running in 64-bit and on windows. I also can’t use the ‘No3D’ version because there are other elements that don’t recognise the 64 bit nature of the machine (I just didn’t paste all the errors above since that would have been a crazy text wall).

My only thought is that the windows specification for the VM is ‘Windows Server 2022 Datacenter’ rather than Windows 10 or Windows 11. But if that is the issue, I’m not sure how to get around it.

Unfortunately SPIS was never tested on Windows Server, at least not by the developers, I let anyone who may have tested answer to you.
We do not have a Windows Server licence available to test it so the best is to use SPIS on another system, if you use a VM, you can use SPIS on linux systems inside a VM.

1 Like