SPIS-IC - Error with BiMaxwellianEnvironment instantiation

Hi all,

I am trying to initiate a SPIS-IC simulation with no sucess unfortunately. I am a bit lost and I do not know where the error is comming from. Quick recap of the simulation:
I try to keep the first simulation as simple as possible.
The group 50 is a surface group of the external boundary.
The groupe 51 is a surface group of the slab in dark blue. (group 50 and 51 have a face in common)
The group 56 is a volume group consisting of two volumes : the void + the slab

Is that correct ?

The global parameters are kept as default. I get an error while initiating the numerical kernel.

Here is the end of the log file:

2021-04-30 10:44:01,583 INFO s.U.i.SpisIO [SpisIO.java:344] Population of elec1 (type OhmLawVolDistrib) could not be created with an EField (electric field with singularity handling close to wires and thin plates),
2021-04-30 10:44:01,583 INFO s.U.i.SpisIO [SpisIO.java:344] which is not necessarily a problem for some types (e.g. GlobalMaxwellBoltzmannVolDistrib)
2021-04-30 10:44:01,584 INFO s.U.i.SpisIO [SpisIO.java:344] => Trying now to create it with a basic VolField as electric field (no singularity handling)
2021-04-30 10:44:02,069 ERROR o.s.u.u.c.NumTopFromUICommand [NumTopFromUICommand.java:222] Error in UI2NUM
spis.Util.Exception.SpisRuntimeException: Exception at spis.Top.Plasma.BiMaxwellianEnvironment instantiation
at spis.Util.io.Introspection.getUIDefinedInstance(Introspection.java:117) ~[na:na]
at spis.Top.Simulation.SimulationFromUIParamsForIC.init(SimulationFromUIParamsForIC.java:409) ~[org-spis-num-sci-geo-5.1.10-IC-3DMICS.jar:5.1.10-IC-3DMICS]
at spis.Top.Simulation.SimulationFromUIParams.(SimulationFromUIParams.java:444) ~[org-spis-num-sci-geo-5.1.10-IC-3DMICS.jar:5.1.10-IC-3DMICS]
at spis.Top.Simulation.SimulationFromUIParamsForIC.(SimulationFromUIParamsForIC.java:98) ~[org-spis-num-sci-geo-5.1.10-IC-3DMICS.jar:5.1.10-IC-3DMICS]
at spis.Top.Top.NumTopFromUI.(NumTopFromUI.java:169) ~[org-spis-num-sci-geo-5.1.10-IC-3DMICS.jar:5.1.10-IC-3DMICS]
at org.spis.ui.ui2num.util.Ui2Num.buildNumTopFromUI(Ui2Num.java:388) ~[org-spis-ui-ui2num-5.1.10-IC.jar:na]
at org.spis.ui.ui2num.command.NumTopFromUICommand.run(NumTopFromUICommand.java:191) [org-spis-ui-ui2num-5.1.10-IC.jar:na]
at org.spis.ui.ui2num.command.NumTopFromUICommand.run(NumTopFromUICommand.java:55) [org-spis-ui-ui2num-5.1.10-IC.jar:na]
at org.keridwen.core.messaging.AbstractCommand.execute(AbstractCommand.java:208) [org-keridwen-core-messaging-2.0.16.jar:na]
at org.keridwen.core.messaging.DefaultBundleController$CallableCommand.call(DefaultBundleController.java:260) [org-keridwen-core-messaging-2.0.16.jar:na]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [na:1.8.0_73]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [na:1.8.0_73]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [na:1.8.0_73]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_73]
2021-04-30 10:44:05,699 DEBUG BundleController:SPIS Model [CommandLogLevel.java:42] Change model state - org.spis.ui.simulation

Any help or documentation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT: I have the same error while using a uniform source as radiation source instead of GRAS results so I don’t think the problem comes from GRAS.

Hi,
Quick update, I found the answer. It has nothing to do with the global parameters, my groups definition in GMSH was wrong. SPIS-IC needs a physical volume group (internal charging computational volume) for each parts of the geometry plus a physical surface group of each volume (Internal charging spacecraft boundary conditions).

Hello hacquart,
I found this topic you posted a few years ago.
I am using SPIS IC 5.4.0 and I’ve some doubts on a geometry I have defined for my analysis.
Since you managed to process your geometry, could you check my definitions?

In GMesh I have defined the following physical entities:

1. An external closed surface for the “Internal charging external boundary condition”.
  2. A volume, filled with vacuum and delimited by the external surface above and the surface of an innermost volume (filled with dielectric). Both volumes are defined as “Internal charging computational volume”
  3. A surface delimiting the innermost volume defined as “Internal charging spacecraft boundary conditions”.
    When I start the analysis it gets stuck at the very beginning with the default global settings.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Fabio