SPIS Circuit Solver Details

Hello,
I am looking for more information regarding the circuit solver SPIS is using. Also, from what I can tell, is it necessary that the spacecraft ground node (elecNode -00) be directly exposed to the plasma by a conductive surface element? i.e. there can be no dielectric surface entirely covering a spacecraft

Thanks
-Tyler

Hello,
it is not necessary since at least V6.1 (I think it was already corrected in SPIS v6.0.4)

Best Regards,
Sébastien

Thanks Sébastien,

Regarding a simulation where the spacecraft is completely dielectric, could you explain what the significance of the ground node is? In other words, what is the function of the elecNode -00 if it’s surface material property is entirely dielectric?

Is the potential on the node different from each individual surface node? Is it simply an average potential of all the surface nodes, or does it affect the charging process of these nodes? Is there a physical analogy that can be made with regard to this circuit to help me understand what is happening here?

Could I expect a dielectric surface to float at a lower absolute potential compared to a purely conductive surface, all else being held constant?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
-Tyler

Dear sebhess,

Hello, I saw the question on the Spis forum(SPIS Circuit Solver Details - #3 by tylerl). I would also like to know the specific usage of this solver now because my Spis UI will keep telling me that there is a problem with my circuit solver. I have set 4 nodes and set the voltage to V 0 1 0

V 0 2 0 V 0 3 0, but the UI will tell me that this is incorrect,

The error is as follows:

Ooops! There was an error while initializing the numerical kernel

Please report it to the development team or on SPIS bug tracker

Do not forget to include the debug.txt file at the root of the software

Stacktrace:

Spis Util. Exception. SpisRuntimeException: Could not parse V 0 1 0 because the component type was not recognized

SPIS netlist general syntax:

TYPEnode1 node2 [value | model<(param<=value>)>]<parameter<=value>…> At spin Circle. Circ. ElecComponent. parseComponent (ElecComponent. java: 199)

Do you know why this is?

Wishing you a happy life

Fu

I have solved this problem, it is a grammatical error

I’m having the same problem, can you please tell me how you solved it?