[Archive] Potential and Density vs distance plots

Message by Robert Albarran:
Hi,
I am trying to find a way to create potential versus distance and density versus distance from the spacecraft plots in the data mining section. All I can find are time evolutions of these parameters. Is there a way to do this or export data sets as .csv files (not .vtk)?
Please let me know what you think and thanks for everything.
Robert

Message by Benoit Thiebault:
Hi,
What you want is to use Cassandra “probing line” filter. It is unfortunately not available in the version of Cassandra that is embedded in SPIS, but you can get it here: \http://dev.artenum.com/projects/cassandra/download
The feature will be reintroduced in future releases of SPIS

Got it. Thank you.
Moreover, is there a way to use already simulated files to further the simulation time? For instance, I have simulated a situation with a duration of 1E-5s and would like to use these results to extend the time to 1E-2s by loading the already simulated data (i.e. a simulation from 1E-5s to 1E-2s) Is there a way to continue from prior simulations like this?
Thanks a bunch,
Robert

For now, what you can do is at the end of a simulation, in the simulation panel under the progress bar, update the simulation duration and restart where you left.
The possibility to load an existing simulation from disk and to start it from where it stopped, is not available yet

Got it!
Where do I find the Xmx variable through terminal to adjust the stack memory? I am unable to locate it under the dependencies directory. Are there any other recommended way to speed up a simulation and/or complete the simulation with out getting the Out of Memory error?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Robert

Hi Robert,
You can edit the launch script (SpisGeo.sh or SpisGeo.bat) with a text editor. The variable is set there several times, don’t forget any :slight_smile:
This is also explained in the user manual.
Beware if you use Windows XP that does not allow a process with more than 1.8Gb of memory. We recommend to use a Unix/Linux version of SPIS for large simulations.
Kind regards,
Benoît

Thank you very much Benoit!
I am trying to open the Cassandra probing line plugin and am unable to open the jar file. I am using a MAC OSX 10.7.5 and downloaded the Cassandra-2.2-linux64 package. Any ideas on how to open and use the probing line?
Thank you very much for your time.
Sincerely,
Robert

I loaded the probing line plug in in Cassandra but it does not work like other filters - in fact it doesn’t even open. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

There seems to be a bug there indeed
We are looking for an answer
Kind regards,
Benoît

No problem. Thank you for your reply. Please keep me posted.
Thanks again,
Robert

Thank you very much! Happy New Year!

Hi,
Thank you for the link to Cassandra 2.5.4. When attempting to open a probing line I have opened Cassandra and am trying to open an existing simulation. It seems that it is unable to open a vtk file. Am I doing something wrong? What would be the best way to use the probing line on existing simulations? On an unrelated note, what exactly would be the difference between the average differential potential and the average surface potential in the ‘Others’ section of the post processor for a single node spacecraft geometry? Just wondering because they give different values. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time!
Robert