[Archive] Particle detectors

Message by Stanislas Guillemant:
null
null

null
  1. I noticed that particle detectors in SPIS DO NOT work and do not produce any results, whatever the version of the software used (I tried several versions from 5.1.8 to 5.2.2). I checked many times my geometries, models, parameters, configurations... and it took me one week to understand this issue. I think it is due to the presence of thin wires in the computational volume. Because without 1D elements, when I use 3D tubes instead of 1D elements: detectors work and provide results.
  2. null
nullnullCan you please check this point? I didn't find any warning concerning 1D wires linked to particle detectors within SPIS documentation...The interesting part is that this combination did not generate any problem few years ago, with older SPIS versions. It seems that later bug corrections (before 5.1.8 ?) concerning particles around wires made the TEST PARTICLE approach of detectors impossible... Or maybe the problem comes from something else ? Can you verify this ? Regards, Stanislas.

Hi, and thank you for your answer.
I’m talking about real particle detectors. On physical surfaces, not wires. And “far” from 1D elements : top-hat electron analyzer at several meters from RPW antennas on Solar Orbiter.
And I’m talking about particle detectors in general, i.e. all incoming particles, with full-PIC simulations. I tested all electrons. Same problem.
I know that particle detectors work, as I tested them myself at the very beginning of their implementation few years ago, including wires in the simulation box. I said that now they do not work anymore when we include wires in the computational volume.
Regards,
Stanislas.

Message by Gethyn Lewis:
Hi All,
This might not be the place to ask this but you all seem to know how to use the Particle detectors.
I am trying to use them (also on Solar Orbiter) and I get an error that states the Local Basis is invalid for my detector.
It then gives a vector of surface normal basis and a 9 element (3 vectors) of my local basis. They are different.
Can someone give me a simple explanation of what these are and how to fix it?
Thanks in advance.
Gethyn Lewis

Message by Pierre Sarrailh:
Hi,
You can find the definition of the basis in the user manual of the SPIS-GEO-SCIENCE developments. It is inside the SPIS package at the location: “.\documentation\TechnicalNotes\ESA-SPIS-SCI-D5-SUM-2013-03-001.pdf”.
In this document, the explanation of the reference basis is at the page 21.
Hope it helps you.
Pierre

Message by Pierre Sarrailh:
Hi Stanislas,
A bug on the particle detector (when a thin wire approximation is used) has been discovered after your last message in the SPIS-DUST branch of SPIS. The combination of the both functionalities (Particle detector and thin wires) is responsible of the bug.
This bug is present since the beginning of the development of the SPIS-DUST functionalities and is only present in the DUST development branch. It has no consequences on the use of particle detector when there is no wire or on the wire collection without particle detectors. If you use a SPIS-DUST version or the last official SPIS version (where this branch is merged), it leads to a numerical core freeze at the first iteration.
I have corrected it last week after your message. The bug correction will be present in the next release version.
Regards
Pierre

Message by Arnaud Trouche:
Hi,
The latest version of SPIS-Dust (5.2.4) corrects the issue with the numerical kernel explained here as well as an issue with the results of particle detectors not displayed during the simulation but correctly displayed in data mining.
It is accessible on the DUST download page : SPIS-Dust download.
Regards,
Arnaud

Hi,
I do not have the sufficient permission to download this version. Can you please solve this problem for me ?
Thank you in advance,
Stanislas.

Message by ruard:
Hi,
The problem should be fix now.
Thanks for your feedbacks.
Cheers,
Benjamin

Indeed it’s now working properly.
Thank you,
Stan.